Hunger Action Ministry
September is Hunger Action Month — Visit the Hunger Action Ministry at their tables in the hospitality area after masses on September 9 & 10, September 16 & 17.
- Download the flyer about Kindness Sunday (September 24), information about speaker and assembly of Casa Kindness Bags.
- Sign-up to contribute items for the Casa Kindness Bags – we need hundreds of items. These bags are then given to our hungry and homeless brothers and sisters. Return all Kindness Bag items after mass on Saturday, September 23, or Sunday morning September 24 – in Hospitality.
- Wear orange – stop by the tables to see what we have available and donate to our activities.
- Send a postcard to our Senators about the Federal Budget.
- Kindness Sunday, September 24, 2017, 12:30 to 3 pm. Attend our Through Our Hands We Serve in Love workshop. Our speaker is Sister Adele from Circle the City. Our Action: we will assemble 300 Casa Kindness bags. Registration required– follow this link. $10.00 Fee. Discounts for children under age 10. Lunch will be provided. Vegetarian and Gluten free options available. Space is limited, if class is full, call to sign-up for the waiting list.
- Visit St Mary’s food bank and download the 30 ways in 30 days calendar for additional Hunger Action ideas.
Our Hunger Action Ministry Mission:
Awareness: Educate the Casa community around regional hunger issues through movies, speakers and discussion. In Arizona, 1 in 4 children, 1 in 5 adults, and 1 in 7 seniors are food insecure.
Advocacy: Support the reauthorization of the Child Nutrition Act in Congress and other state and national legislation affecting food security.
Action: Organize service projects at community food banks and soup kitchens. Promote individual volunteering efforts.
Hunger Action Ministry, meets on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 6 p.m. Here’s a calendar of our meetings and events. Look for information about service and educational or advocacy events in the Casa Bulletin and on our webpage.
We educate using educational movies, such as A Place at the Table, The Faces of America’s Hungry and Hunger Hits Home, as well as speakers from such local organizations that work to combat hunger (like St Mary’s Food Bank and the Association of Arizona Food Banks) as vehicles for awareness around hunger issues. We participate in local or national advocacy.
Important dates to note and hold:
- Next OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE (this Fall): Tentative, Monday, November 20 (daytime) Thanksgiving Food Box Giveaway at St. Mary’s Food Bank
Recent Education/Awareness/Advocacy events:
The Act on Hunger session included a presentation by David Martinez, from St Mary’s Food Bank Alliance. Here is his power point. We also offered a general information sheet on Advocacy. And we provided simple every day ideas for how to “Act on Hunger.”
For more information about our ministry, contact: hungeraction(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)thecasa.org