Hunger Action Ministry
Our Hunger Action Ministry Mission:
Awareness: Educate the Casa community around regional hunger issues through movies, speakers and discussion. In Arizona, 1 in 4 children, 1 in 5 adults, and 1 in 7 seniors are food insecure.
Advocacy: Support the reauthorization of the Child Nutrition Act in Congress and other state and national legislation affecting food security.
Action: Organize service projects at community food banks and soup kitchens. Promote individual volunteering efforts.
Hunger Action Ministry, meets on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 6 p.m. Here’s a calendar of our meetings and events. Look for information about service and educational or advocacy events in the Casa Bulletin and on our webpage.
We educate using educational movies, such as A Place at the Table, The Faces of America’s Hungry and Hunger Hits Home, as well as speakers from such local organizations that work to combat hunger (like St Mary’s Food Bank and the Association of Arizona Food Banks) as vehicles for awareness around hunger issues. We participate in local or national advocacy.
If you can’t feed a hundred hungry people, then feed just one. (attributed to St. Teresa of Calcutta.)
Important dates to note and hold:
Next OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE (in the spring): Join the Hunger Action Ministry at our next event to feed the hungry as we hand pack Food Boxes on Saturday, March 10, times to be determined. At St Mary’s Food Bank Alliance, Dell E Webb Distribution Center, 2831 North 31st Avenue. e will need 20 to 30 people, children 12 and over can participate. To sign-up in advance email us at hungeraction(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)thecasa.org or look for us in the Hospitality area on February 3 & 4 2018 after all the masses.
Recent Education/Awareness/Advocacy events:
The Act on Hunger session included a presentation by David Martinez, from St Mary’s Food Bank Alliance. Here is his power point. We also offered a general information sheet on Advocacy. And we provided simple every day ideas for how to “Act on Hunger.”
Hunger Action Month – THANK YOU
Thank you Casa Community! Through your generous contributions and “Through Our Hands,” together, we make a difference
- Thank you for wearing orange and buying orange to support hunger action.
- Thank you for continuing to care enough to “Act on Hunger” – together we sent 150 postcards to our Senators asking that they continue support the funding of hunger and nutrition programs in the federal budget.
On September 24, Casa Kindness Sunday, over 75 participants assembled 300 Casa Kindness Bags to distribute.
- Thank you for the many many (yes, over a thousand) granola bars, water bottles, juice boxes, (etc.), that you contributed to our Kindness Bags.
- A special thank you to Barnett Management for the 150 $10.00 food gift cards donated to our efforts.
- With gratitude for all our Hunger Action Ministry volunteers: the team whose time, energy, talent as well as generosity (lunches, bus tickets) contributed to the success of our Kindness Sunday activities. We are very grateful for the help of a few of our Casa families and their teens and pre-teens who helped with the delivery, transfer and display of all the kindness bag items on Sunday morning.
Over 200 kindness bags were delivered to Circle the City, a nationally recognized organization. Offering direction and compassion, Circle the City provides medical, physical and counseling services to the homeless throughout Maricopa County.
- Sister Adele O’Sullivan, founder and Chief Medical Officer, spoke to us about hunger, homelessness and poverty; and we learned that 80% of those served in the agency’s respite center never go back to the streets.
The remaining Kindness Bags are to be distributed by members of our Casa community. Want to make your own Kindness bag? – Try this.
Visit St Mary’s food bank and download the 30 ways in 30 days calendar for additional Hunger Action ideas.
For more information about our ministry, contact: hungeraction(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)thecasa.org