Hunger Action Ministry
In Arizona, 1 in 4 children, 1 in 5 adults, and 1 in 7 seniors are food insecure.
Our Vision: To be a change agent in our community.
Our Mission: By promoting and supporting organizations, in the local community, that strive to reduce and eliminate hunger, our mission involves:
- Awareness – Educate the Casa community on Hunger issues.
- Advocacy – Promote state/national legislation affecting food security.
- Action – Organize service projects in our community.
Hunger Action Ministry, meets on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 6 p.m. Here’s a calendar of our meetings and events. Look for information about service and educational or advocacy events in the Casa Bulletin and on our webpage.
We educate using educational movies, such as A Place at the Table, The Faces of America’s Hungry and Hunger Hits Home, as well as speakers from such local organizations that work to combat hunger (like St Mary’s Food Bank and the Association of Arizona Food Banks) as vehicles for awareness around hunger issues. We participate in local or national advocacy.
Please note: the Hunger Action Ministry at the Casa is fondly referred to as “HAM.”
“If you can’t feed a hundred hungry people, then feed just one.” (Attributed to St. Teresa of Calcutta.)
Link: Who goes hungry in America (at Feeding America website)
Important information or upcoming opportunities:
Education and Spiritual Formation
Though our Hands: Join us for the Hunger Action Month speaker and service project on Sunday September 22, 2019. Our speaker is Yolanda A. Soto from Borderlands Produce Rescue. Our New Project: Casa Food-For-a-Meal Bags which will be given to Desert Mission food bank. Stay tuned for more information.
Hunger Action Day is celebrated in conjunction with the World Day of Peace on September 21 as part of the Casa’s Weekend of Peace and Good.
The Hunger Action Ministry at the Casa believes that food is hope. We strive to be change agents and to take action against hunger. The 14th Dalai Lama said: “Peace can only last where human rights are respected, where the people are fed, and where individuals and nations are free.”
 The 14th Dalai Lama [Tenzin Gyatso] – Nobel Lecture, Dec. 11, 1989. NobelPrize.org. Nobel Media. https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/peace/1989/lama/lecture/
Action or Service
Hunger Action / Service Opportunity for August 3, Hearts and Hands: Activities are focused on projects to teach our youth the impact of giving and service. Volunteers engage in craft projects, making hygiene packets, sandwiches and more depending upon the need that month. Children 5 yrs and up with adult; 16 on own are welcome. Families welcome. Inquire at hungeraction(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)thecasa.org to receive the sign-up genius link.
For more information contact Dolores or Kathy at hungeraction(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)thecasa.org .
Every Bit Helps!
Donation Bins in The Lobby
In the FRC Lobby, there are two donation bins: 1) on the right for food/toiletries; and 2) on the left for clothing and other items (for Andre House). Please note the signage for both bins. Vista del Camino, the local Community Action Agency and food bank/pantry for Scottsdale, is the recipient of the food bin donations (right bin). Items needed includes: non-perishable food, and also toilet paper and toiletry items, i.e., soap, shampoo, dental hygiene products, etc. The photo to the left – Eddie from Vista Del Camino picking up food from the Casa lobby donation bin – Summer 2018.
We continue to support Andre House as all items in the clothing bin (left bin) continues to be delivered to Andre House.
Both organizations have a “needs list” flyer available for pick-up in the plastic rack attached to the side of their respective bins.You can also download the flyers: Vista del Camino needs list; Andre House needs list.
As always, thank you for your generosity!
Recent Education/Awareness/Advocacy events:
Hunger Action Month 2018- THANK YOU!
The September 23 Hunger Action Workshop was a rousing success–in great part due to your participation. Presentation by the representatives of UMOM was both very compelling and encouraging. The work that UMOM is doing to provide shelter, support services and affordable housing has changed the lives of thousands of individuals and families experiencing homelessness. Our main speaker was Darlene Newsom from UMOM New Day Centers.
300 kindness bags were assembled during the event; 150 were distributed to UMOM to give out to their clients. The remaining bags were taken home by the Casa Community members to pass out to men, women and children encountered on our valley area streets.
- We also gave hundreds of socks to UMOM,
- And over 300 bottles of water to UMOM, Andre House and Vista Del Camino (Scottsdale Food Bank).
- A bin-full worth of granola bars, raisins, juice boxes also went to the Vista del Camino Food Bank.
- Left over bus passes will go to the Renewal Center for people who stop in and ask for emergency assistance.
Thanks to the planning committee and to Sally for keeping us organized. Everyone on the committee did “behind the event” work that allowed it to happen so smoothly.
Want to make your own Kindness bag? – Try this.
Links to local or national organizations with Hunger Action Month references or activities:
- Flyer with Simple ways to ACT on Hunger and Feed America/Feed Ourselves [on second side]- support local restaurants that support hunger efforts. St Mary’s Food Bank (Phoenix) – see the support provided by local organizations in 2018.
- Pass the Plate/Feeding America the Feeding America® network’s nationwide awareness campaign designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger. The campaign brings attention to the reality of hunger in the United States and promotes ways for individuals and organizations to get involved in the movement to help end hunger.
- Move for Hunger – Thirty Days of Action – daily calendar suggested activities Society of St. Andrew– Gleaning America’s fields.
- Feed the Children- How Can We End Hunger?
Act on Hunger 2017
The Act on Hunger session included a presentation by David Martinez, from St Mary’s Food Bank Alliance. Here is his power point. We also offered a general information sheet on Advocacy. And we provided simple every day ideas for how to “Act on Hunger.”
Hunger Action Month 2017 – THANK YOU
Thank you Casa Community! Through your generous contributions and “Through Our Hands,” together, we make a difference
- Thank you for wearing orange and buying orange to support hunger action.
- Thank you for continuing to care enough to “Act on Hunger” – together we sent 150 postcards to our Senators asking that they continue support the funding of hunger and nutrition programs in the federal budget.
On September 24, Casa Kindness Sunday, over 75 participants assembled 300 Casa Kindness Bags to distribute.
- Thank you for the many many (yes, over a thousand) granola bars, water bottles, juice boxes, (etc.), that you contributed to our Kindness Bags.
- A special thank you to Barnett Management for the 150 $10.00 food gift cards donated to our efforts.
- With gratitude for all our Hunger Action Ministry volunteers: the team whose time, energy, talent as well as generosity (lunches, bus tickets) contributed to the success of our Kindness Sunday activities. We are very grateful for the help of a few of our Casa families and their teens and pre-teens who helped with the delivery, transfer and display of all the kindness bag items on Sunday morning.
Over 200 kindness bags were delivered to Circle the City, a nationally recognized organization. Offering direction and compassion, Circle the City provides medical, physical and counseling services to the homeless throughout Maricopa County.
- Sister Adele O’Sullivan, founder and Chief Medical Officer (now retired), spoke to us about hunger, homelessness and poverty; and we learned that 80% of those served in the agency’s respite center never go back to the streets.
Visit St Mary’s food bank and download the 30 ways in 30 days calendar for additional Hunger Action ideas.
For more information about our ministry, contact: hungeraction(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)thecasa.org
2018 Through Our Hands workshop- Hunger Action Month
Preparing for workshop
Assembling the Casa Kindness Bags 2018