The Casa Habitat for Humanity
During the month of May, you are invited to join the FUN!
#CasaBuildaHome with Habitat
See CasaBuildaHome Event on Facebook.
For the Casa Habitat Ministry, building a home together isn’t just about constructing a house. It’s about building a community—supporting a family, working together, learning new skills, developing relationships.
Although, we have had to put our Habitat builds on hold, that doesn’t mean we can’t continue to build homes and community together! For the month of May we are asking all of you to share the ways in which you #CasaBuildaHome!
Have some fun. Get creative! Include your family. We invite you to take part in any kind of “home building” activity and share photos or very short videos of yourselves doing it! Make houses out of Legos, popsicle sticks, playing cards, gingerbread, play dough or even a fort out of blankets. You could have a coloring contest or build a birdhouse. Or try sharing in some other activity that is helping to you to “build a home” during social distancing (cooking together, puzzle night, gardening, etc.). We’re interested in photos or brief videos that include you in “action shots” and with the completed projects.
If you would like your #CasaBuildaHome project to be featured in our next Casa Habitat slideshow or video please email a photo/very brief video of your project to thecasahabitat(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)gmail.com and please identify the people in the photos/videos (first names only, or “XYZ family”) when you send them. FYI: this project’s “construction period” ends May 31.
Looking forward to seeing the ways you continue to #CasaBuildaHome and community during our “new normal” of social distancing!
The Casa Habitat Ministry spring 2020 build with the Caritas Coalition is currently “on hold” to protect individual volunteers. To prevent delays and with the priority of getting our family into their home before the summer heat is upon us, construction teams and subcontractors will complete the Caritas build.
Join the Casa Habitat ministry in our “Build at Home” 2020 Challenge.
Information from the Casa/FRC Faith in Action Ministries: How you can volunteer/help with outside organizations [posted March 20, 2020] – Here
If you need want more information on how to help or you need assistance, visit the Casa COVID-19 resource page.
Casa community members are invited to participate in Habitat for Humanity building projects as a team known as the “Casa Builders.” Be a part of this life changing work.
Volunteers must be at least 16 years old to participate in building, but there are a wide range of other roles that help, including organizing lunches for construction teams or babysitting for young families working on the site.
Build schedule and Family information.
Our Flyer for the Fall & Winter 2019/2020 with current build and lunch dates found here.
Due to COVID-19, there are currently no organized group service opportunities or builds scheduled for the Spring of 2020. For more information, please visit the Casa COVID-19 resource page.
Not a “builder?” How else can you help?
You can help out the Habitat Ministry by providing breakfasts and lunches for the 35+ members of our volunteer construction teams. This gives our build volunteers a hearty breakfast and lunch while they give their time and energy to eliminate homelessness, one family at a time.
How do you feed 35 people breakfast and lunch? We have a fund to help cover the costs, we need you to shop and “make and bake.”
- Provide the entire meal(s) or parts of the meal without any cost to you. Sign-up in hospitality or through an email indicating that you want to help with meals. You also bring the food to the Habitat build site; meet the volunteers and see the build. Please keep your receipt and submit it for reimbursement.
- Or help us keep the lunch fund available into the future: get a group of friends and/or partner with 3 other kind-hearted folks who also donate $25.00 ($100.00 total) and contribute the funds and the Habitat ministry team will do the shopping!
Email the The Casa Habitat ministry (thecasahabitat(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)thecasa.org) to indicate your interest in either option and to find out more details.
Miracles happen when we all work together!
How to support The Casa Habitat Ministry:
Find out how you can support the Casa Habitat Ministry through your Arizona Credit for Contributions to Qualifying Charitable Organizations formerly known as The Working Poor Tax Credit).
- If you cannot volunteer your “time and talent” in building with our Casa Habitat Ministry, please consider contributing a bit of treasure. Your contributions helps us build homes for families in need. We hope to help build 4 homes in 2019 and 2020 and we are asking you to consider including us in your tax credit contribution.
- By donating to Habitat for Humanity Central Arizona no later than April 15, 2020 and indicating that your donation is on behalf of The Franciscan Renewal Center’s Habitat Ministry (on the memo line) see example, you will receive a dollar-for-dollar credit toward your Arizona income tax payment: up to $400 for a single filer and up to $800 for joint filers. (Please note that the PDF example has 2019 dates but all the information is still current.)
- You can make this donation online at www.habitatcaz.org (and designate the Franciscan Renewal Center) or mail your check to: Habitat for Humanity Central Arizona, P.O. Box 369, Peoria, AZ, 85380-0369.
Habitat for Humanity ALSO accepts in-kind donations of building materials and labor. Check out the Habitat website for details on making this donation. Such generous in-kind donations (on behalf of our FRC/Casa Habitat Ministry) increases the number of homes that we can help to sponsor and build.
Volunteer with this ministry:
2019 with Deacon Sam:
Even Pope Francis supports Casa Habitat! 🙂
Having FUN at our builds
The Casa Habitat for Humanity