Faith, Families, Francis and Fun –
Family Faith Formation!
Parents, it’s all about you! The Catholic Church recognizes that parents are the first and primary educators of the faith. Connections to faith begin and are reinforced at home as children model the behavior of those around them.
Family Catechesis is a faith formation model to support you and your children in spiritual growth. Our job is to provide you with the tools and support to raise your children in the faith. Family Catechesis gives you the opportunity to meet other parents, to learn and grow through activities with your children and for your child to create friends and community.
Here is what Family Catechesis looks like:
- Faith formation for families with children ages pre-k – grade 8
- Parents and students meet once a month on Sunday mornings.
- Included are retreats, service opportunities, lectionary and faith based activities in class and for home.
- Younger grades (pre-k – 3) learn thru Gospel Storytelling where children discover who God is through the principles of storytelling and the Montessori Method. The sessions follow the flow of the mass from opening prayers, to “feast” (aka snack) to sending out with concluding rites.
- Grades 4-6, Friends of Francis, continue their faith formation by attending Family Catechesis along with a second monthly session focusing on growing in faith through hands on learning, service and social interactions.
- Junior High Youth Ministry for grades 7/8 provides a safe and fun place for students to grow in faith and build community. Led by James Whitaker, our Youth Minister, and team, this group meets twice a month with the first meeting as part of Fmily Catechesis.
Join us as we gather once a month to learn more about our faith and relationship in Christ. Our topics focus on a 3 year cycle -Year A : Prayer/Spirituality and the Creed; Year B: Church Year and Sacraments; Year C: Justice/Service and Morality.
The format includes age- appropriate breakouts (including middle school and parents), hands-on-learning, family activities, prayer, music, guest speakers and the secret ingredient – fun! All of this presented with an emphasis on St. Francis and the Franciscan tradition.
Calendar 2018 – 19
Sessions are held at 8:45 am or 10:45 am on Sunday mornings unless otherwise indicated.
Weekend of Aug. 25/26
Family Catechesis & Youth Ministry Open House!
Join us after every Mass in the Hospitality area.
Registration and children’s activities will be available
Sunday Sept. 23
Casa Kindness Sunday!
Join the Casa Hunger Action community event
Register for lunch and to create Kindness Bags
Sunday Sept. 30
Welcome and Christian Morality Part 1
Sunday Oct. 28
Session Two: The Franciscan Moral Vision
Fr. Joe Schwab, OFM Guest Speaker
Sunday Nov. 25
10th Annual Family Advent Retreat!
12:15 – 3:30 pm Fr. Joe Schwab, OFM Guest Speaker
Sunday Dec. 16
Session Three: Share your Cloak with Others
Sunday Jan. 27
Session Four: Catholic Social Teaching
Sunday Feb. 3
Teaching Mass 3:00 pm in the Church
Sunday Feb. 24
Session Five: “Love your Enemies”
Social Justice in Action
Sunday March 17
Family Lent Retreat 12:15 – 3:30 pm
Friday March 29
Family Taize Service 7:00 pm in the Church
Sat. April 6
Hike for the Homeless – more information to come
Friday April 12
Family Stations of the Cross 5:30 pm Healing Garden
Sunday April 28
Session Six: Divine Mercy Sunday
Corporal, Spiritual Works of Mercy
Sunday May 19
Session Seven: Love One Another
End of year celebration
REGISTRATION FOR THE 2018-19 PROGRAM YEAR IS NOW AVAILABLE!
New families are encouraged to make an appointment to register and find out more about how Family Catechesis works! Call Patty Tafolla 480.355.0359
Use the form below to inquire with Director Patty Tafolla about any further questions you may have. You can also call her at 480.355.0359
Faith at Church and at Home
We encourage families to attend church together. Whether you have a newborn or teen, all are welcome!
Casa Children’s Celebration is offered at 9:15 am on Sundays.
This Liturgy of the Word program gives children ages 3 1/2 and up the opportunity to hear the Sunday readings with an age-appropriate interpretation, discussion and activity.
The Casa also offers weekly Faith Lessons at Home that families can enjoy together at home to grow in faith. These can be found in the weekly bulletin on the Family Catechesis page or in our Faith, Families, Francis and Fun website. Information on sacrament preparation, family activities, parent page and more can be found on the website.